Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 10:37 AM Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 12:55:39 +0200,
>   Tomasz Torcz <tomek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >  Being self-hosted is a nice goal, but not important enough.
> >There are parts of Fedora infrastructure which are not using Fedora,
> >but other distributions like RHEL.  We seem to have not problem in
> >using proprietary SAAS solutions for critical stuff.
>
> RHEL is a special case, as CENTOS provides a free drop in replacement and
> switching from CENTOS to Fedora shouldn't be much work. Is there other
> proprietary software at the OS level or above, that is used for Fedora
> infrastructure?

The only part of Fedora Infrastructure itself that is proprietary (to
the best of my knowledge) is the NetApp storage appliances that have
been in place since Koji was deployed back in 2007. I think if we were
to do this all over again today, we would be using Gluster or Ceph,
but it's a ton of work for no gain to change storage stuff right now.

The change to SaaS GitLab will make a user-facing visible change to a
proprietary solution for the core of the distribution. And even
ignoring that, I sincerely think the user experience will be much
worse with almost no avenue to fix it.

> >  I truly envy Debian and their ability to dogfood, running their
> >infra on Debian. With minor exception: although they self-host GitLab,
> >it seems to be different than their distribution packages.
>
> I think the difference is the support window for Fedora. In a way CENTOS
> is an LTS version of Fedora.

Over the years, more of Fedora Infrastructure has migrated from RHEL
to Fedora because RHEL doesn't work out very well for some of our
infrastructure.

For example, all the Koji builders are on Fedora, as is Bodhi. While
it is true that RHEL/CentOS can be considered somewhat as an LTS of
Fedora, it's not an equivalent distribution. Red Hat makes different
choices and cuts down what's available dramatically. The discussion
about ELN pushes that distinction to the forefront.