Re: CPE Git Forge Decision

On Tue, Mar 31, 2020 at 12:42:18PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Leigh Griffin wrote:
> > Thank you for your patience while the CPE Team worked through an
> > incredible number of requirements from multiple stakeholder sources. On
> > Friday evening we announced on the Community Blog
> > <https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/making-a-git-forge-decision/> our
> > decision to adopt Gitlab as our Git Forge and to retain pagure.io to
> > ultimately hand over to the Community to maintain. It wasn't an easy
> > decision by any stretch of the imagination and we hope that the compromise
> > that we are striking will help to allow Pagure flourish and to give a
> > choice of Forges for your usage. I'm happy to field any questions or
> > comments about this decision.
>
> What really worries to me is that:
> * using GitLab as SaaS is being considered, and
> * for self-hosting, using the proprietary "enterprise" editions is not
>   excluded.
>
> I think that using anything other than Free Software as the hosting platform
> for Fedora should be an absolute no go. In other words, self-hosted GitLab
> CE or Pagure, no other options.

  Being self-hosted is a nice goal, but not important enough.
There are parts of Fedora infrastructure which are not using Fedora,
but other distributions like RHEL.  We seem to have not problem in
using proprietary SAAS solutions for critical stuff.
  I truly envy Debian and their ability to dogfood, running their
infra on Debian. With minor exception: although they self-host GitLab,
it seems to be different than their distribution packages.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
tomek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  — Alia