Re: The Git forge decision (was CPE Weekly: 2020-03-28)

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 10:20:00AM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> The original proposal promised Fedora Council involvement. I wonder
> where that happened, I could not found any Pagure ticket nor a
> Council mailing list thread about this.

We were asked to help collect the user stories and requirements. We
also gave the strong feedback that the community wasn't interested in
GitHub for a variety of reasons, which isn't a user-story per se but
obviously important.

I understand the attachment we have as a project to Pagure -- someone
in our community made it, after all, and lots of others have made
direct and indirect contributions. I feel that too! But, we all know
that it needs significant development work for scaling, stability, and
features.

Miro says somewhere else in this thread

   FESCo cannot actually make anyone do anything. So even if FESCo
   says: "The dist-git will run on Pagure", CPE can say: "Whatever, but
   we are not maintaining it."

This is true of the Council as well, of course. Ultimately, the CPE
team is going to put huge amounts of time, effort, and money into
running this. So, I feel very comfortable in saying that this really is
that team's decision to make.

At the same time, having a dist-git and a git-forge at all is totally
meaningless if the Fedora contributor community's needs aren't served.
I see the Council's role here in making sure they are.

And, while obviously communication could have been better and maybe a
longer process would have helped, ultimately, I have a lot of trust for
the people who work on CPE. Let's help them figure out how to best help
all of us.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>