Re: The Git forge decision (was CPE Weekly: 2020-03-28)

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 14:42:33 -0400,
 Alex Scheel <ascheel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Have you tried to use Pagure as a development based git forge? And not
just as a dist-git hosting location? It needs a lot of help! More than the
current resources provide.

I've used the PR features a bit in a dist-git context. I tried to see if we could use it for my group at work, but somebody had already set up gitlab for another group and we ended up re-using their work instead.

The reasons why are well documented in Pagure's issue tracker.

I have contributed to the the issue list, but not for a while.

If that's something you value, feel free to contribute to Pagure upstream.

It's hard for me to keep up with packing now, so it is hard to do much more than report issues and test fixes.

But Pagure can't compete with Gitlab as a development forge in its current
state.

There are other public git forges that behave better than Pagure:

- SourceHut
- Gitea
- ...

So I don't think this actually has as much value as you think.

Perhaps. SourceHut does look like it is really free. I'd be a little worried about something happening to the founder if I was reliant on them for improvements. Gitea also seems to be really free and seems to be community based. I don't know how well either works or how sustainable their development is. But they do seem to be alternatives that are really free, unlike gitlab.

And to be clear: there's a difference between a Fedora-sponsored
Development forge and a new git forge for dist-git. A lot of this
discussion has conflated these two cases. I mostly care about it
releasing the former role (pagure.io) and don't care much about
the latter role (s.fp.o).

I think it is a project that is valuable for Red Hat to sponsor, but apparently the decision makers there don't think so.

I'm still disapointed in this decision. One of the reasons I got involved with Fedora instead of other distributions way back, was that they were working on getting rid of plague and replacing it with free software. (It was gone by the time I was a packager, so I never used it.)