Re: The Git forge decision (was CPE Weekly: 2020-03-28)

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 3:26 PM Bruno Wolff III <bruno@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 14:42:33 -0400,
>   Alex Scheel <ascheel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >Have you tried to use Pagure as a development based git forge? And not
> >just as a dist-git hosting location? It needs a lot of help! More than the
> >current resources provide.
>
> I've used the PR features a bit in a dist-git context. I tried to see if
> we could use it for my group at work, but somebody had already set up
> gitlab for another group and we ended up re-using their work instead.
>
> >The reasons why are well documented in Pagure's issue tracker.
>
> I have contributed to the the issue list, but not for a while.
>
> >If that's something you value, feel free to contribute to Pagure upstream.
>
> It's hard for me to keep up with packing now, so it is hard to do much more
> than report issues and test fixes.
>
> >But Pagure can't compete with Gitlab as a development forge in its current
> >state.
> >
> >There are other public git forges that behave better than Pagure:
> >
> > - SourceHut
> > - Gitea
> > - ...
> >
> >So I don't think this actually has as much value as you think.
>
> Perhaps. SourceHut does look like it is really free. I'd be a little
> worried about something happening to the founder if I was reliant on
> them for improvements. Gitea also seems to be really free and seems
> to be community based. I don't know how well either works or how
> sustainable their development is. But they do seem to be alternatives
> that are really free, unlike gitlab.

SourceHut eschews common norms for forge-based development in favor of
email based workflows. I don't think anyone here is keen on that. :)

As for Gitea, we're basically at parity with Gitea now. The major
difference between Pagure and Gitea is that Pagure is highly
extensible and Gitea is designed to be a very self-contained
application. Plugging Pagure into workflows and infrastructure is
substantially easier than doing the same with Gitea.

> >And to be clear: there's a difference between a Fedora-sponsored
> >Development forge and a new git forge for dist-git. A lot of this
> >discussion has conflated these two cases. I mostly care about it
> >releasing the former role (pagure.io) and don't care much about
> >the latter role (s.fp.o).
>
> I think it is a project that is valuable for Red Hat to sponsor, but
> apparently the decision makers there don't think so.
>
> I'm still disapointed in this decision. One of the reasons I got involved
> with Fedora instead of other distributions way back, was that they were
> working on getting rid of plague and replacing it with free software.
> (It was gone by the time I was a packager, so I never used it.)

I barely remember plague (it was going away when I started as a
packager). Plague was free software, but the build system for Fedora
Core was not. That and Plague were both replaced with Koji in 2007. It
was a great day, indeed.