Re: character assassination

On 22/03/2020 12:36, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> It was not in the spirit of our Friends foundation to take Daniel's blog off
>>> the Fedora Planet.
>>>

> Hello Daniel,
>
>> FSFE censored my blog while I was still the fellowship representative,
>> before I had decided to resign.
>>
>> When I wrote my resignation email, they kept it in a censorship queue
>> until the next day deciding whether they would "allow" me resign or
>> whether to tell everybody I was "expelled".  In other words, they are
>> small children who want to have the last word on everything.  I feel the
>> same pattern when somebody like Martin Langhoff engages in character
>> assassination, posting a link to fake news and then the thread is shut
>> down without challenging him.
>
> In which way are these accusations relevant to your question about the
> Non-responsive maintainer Policy?

Langhoff posted the trolling accusations, I'm simply refuting them as
nonsense.

>> A few months after FSFE I went to the UN Forum on Business & Human
>> Rights in Geneva.  I related my experience there to free software with
>> another blog[1] and a few hours later that blog post was censored from
>> both Planet Debian:
>> https://fsfellowship.eu/assets/censor_pocock.png
>> and Planet Mozilla:
>> https://fsfellowship.eu/assets/planet_mozilla_censorship.png
>>
>> /What type of organization censors a blog about human rights?/
>>
>> This all happened after FSFE's Fellows[2] chose me as their
>> representative in a ballot[3].  Coincidence?
>>
>> Why do free software organizations want to take our contributions but
>> deny us the right to ask questions, publish blogs, vote or appoint
>> representatives?
>>
>> Volunteers doing work without any rights starts to smell like modern day
>> slavery.
>
> I do not particularly care about your "back story", and even though
> you make this sound like a major conspiracy to censor you, I have not

I don't see it as a personal thing.  Multiple organizations (Linux
Foundation, FSFE) removing /all/ their community representatives.
Wikimedia deleting a long-standing volunteer in a controversial manner.
 Rogue elements of Debian arbitrarily removing/banning multiple people
shortly before Christmas and before elections.

In every case there have been character attacks and smears presented as
a substitute for evidence.

I feel that Fedora has been influenced by such attacks.

Fedora also suffers in the future if developers are less willing to
contribute.  While mentoring in Outreachy, I came to see that this cruel
impersonal behaviour is a particularly big deterrent for women.

> heard about this, and neither have most other fedora contributors,
> based on other reactions. I only know by coincidence that the debian
> project decided to publicly (!) sever any ties to you in a recent post
> [0], which I thought was pretty unusual.

These are the facts:
- as a volunteer, on a Sunday, I made a package and decided to share it
(python-rake-nltk)
- somebody sent a troll message about 10 hours later the same day
- the Debian Project Leader, Sam Hartman, published character attacks in
my package's ITP bug

I am struggling to see how Sam Hartman or LWN connect the troll message
with me or the rake-nltk package.  It feels like a vendetta.  It only
brings their own competence into question.

Another fact: users like my packages.  Not one user complained about the
package.  So I plan to ignore harassment from Hartman and continue
making packages for both Debian and Fedora and any other platform that
users are interested in.

> However - again - none of this is relevant to the current thread, so
> please stop inserting these claims (whether true or not) into every
> email you send - it definitely does not help further your arguments.

The disappearance of my blog on Planet Fedora was apparently influenced
by people in Debian.  The Pagure issue notes it is "From Debian".

It demonstrates how people like Sam Hartman are using the Debian name
for privilege escalation in Fedora and other communities.

>> I feel it does belong on this list because the thread about being a
>> non-responsive maintainer was started here with my name in the subject line.
> <snip>
> If you have suggestions for how to make the Non-responsive maintainer
> Policy better, address them to FESCo, who will then consider them.

This wasn't about making the Non-responsive maintainer policy better,
this was about Fedora Planet censoring my blog and undermining my
motivation.

>> The stuff about the OSI board president's conflicts of interest is also
>> relevant because the development that volunteers contribute here is
>> governed[4] under licenses approved by FSF and OSI.  Coincidentally, de
>> Blanc worked for one and was elected president of the other.  Another
>> conflict of interest.
>
> Again, these kinds of accusations are - in my opinion - not suited to
> a public forum like the "devel" mailing list, and they are irrelevant
> to your initial "non-responsive maintanier" question (or even the
> concerning removal of your blog from planet fedora).

There is a difference between accusation and fact.

These are all facts that you can verify through various pages:
- Fedora licensing guidelines[4] refer to FSF and OSI
- Molly de Blanc worked at FSF.
- de Blanc was declared to be a Debian Developer in December 2018.
- almost immediately, Debian endorsed de Blanc to be OSI president
- de Blanc was then elected OSI president

Some facts are self obvious:
- having a role in FSF and OSI at the same time creates a conflict of
interest

de Blanc dating Debian's former leader, Chris Lamb, through all of that?
 They don't write it down but if you ask enough people, you will find
the truth.  A journalist only needs 2 independent sources and a public
interest justification before publishing something like that, I
certainly had more evidence than that before blogging about it.  You can
find clues, like de Blanc and Lamb going to Australia together, Lamb
taking this photo:
https://www.fsf.org/blogs/community/thank-you-linux-conf-australia

and an anonymous break up soon afterwards:
http://deblanc.net/blog/2019/04/24/breaking-up/

I didn't see any facts presented about the identities of trolls.  Those
are accusations.  Repeated often enough, they are harassment, like the
messages from Langhoff