Re: character assassination

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 10:22 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 22/03/2020 04:18, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> > On Friday, March 20, 2020 6:09:51 AM MST Ben Cotton wrote:
> >> This thread is off-topic and not in the spirit of our Friends
> >> foundation. Please refrain from further replies.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Cotton
> >> He / Him / His
> >> Senior Program Manager, Fedora & CentOS Stream
> >> Red Hat
> >> TZ=America/Indiana/Indianapolis
> >
> > It was not in the spirit of our Friends foundation to take Daniel's blog off
> > the Fedora Planet.

Hello Daniel,

> FSFE censored my blog while I was still the fellowship representative,
> before I had decided to resign.
>
> When I wrote my resignation email, they kept it in a censorship queue
> until the next day deciding whether they would "allow" me resign or
> whether to tell everybody I was "expelled".  In other words, they are
> small children who want to have the last word on everything.  I feel the
> same pattern when somebody like Martin Langhoff engages in character
> assassination, posting a link to fake news and then the thread is shut
> down without challenging him.

In which way are these accusations relevant to your question about the
Non-responsive maintainer Policy?

> A few months after FSFE I went to the UN Forum on Business & Human
> Rights in Geneva.  I related my experience there to free software with
> another blog[1] and a few hours later that blog post was censored from
> both Planet Debian:
> https://fsfellowship.eu/assets/censor_pocock.png
> and Planet Mozilla:
> https://fsfellowship.eu/assets/planet_mozilla_censorship.png
>
> /What type of organization censors a blog about human rights?/
>
> This all happened after FSFE's Fellows[2] chose me as their
> representative in a ballot[3].  Coincidence?
>
> Why do free software organizations want to take our contributions but
> deny us the right to ask questions, publish blogs, vote or appoint
> representatives?
>
> Volunteers doing work without any rights starts to smell like modern day
> slavery.

I do not particularly care about your "back story", and even though
you make this sound like a major conspiracy to censor you, I have not
heard about this, and neither have most other fedora contributors,
based on other reactions. I only know by coincidence that the debian
project decided to publicly (!) sever any ties to you in a recent post
[0], which I thought was pretty unusual.

However - again - none of this is relevant to the current thread, so
please stop inserting these claims (whether true or not) into every
email you send - it definitely does not help further your arguments.

> I feel it does belong on this list because the thread about being a
> non-responsive maintainer was started here with my name in the subject line.

If you check the mailing list archives for this "devel" list, you will
find that there are multiple such "Non-responsive maintainer?" check
emails sent to it every month. It is a completely standard,
non-judgemental procedure for the situation when a fedora contributor
cannot be reached via standard channels (usually BugZilla or emails to
the address associated with his fedora account).

Based on your own message in another thread, ignoring BugZilla emails
for about a year definitely qualifies you for this (see the FESCo
policy for non-responsive maintainers [1]). Additionally, the email
fulfilled its original purpose - it got your attention, when other
things did not.

If you have suggestions for how to make the Non-responsive maintainer
Policy better, address them to FESCo, who will then consider them.

> The stuff about the OSI board president's conflicts of interest is also
> relevant because the development that volunteers contribute here is
> governed[4] under licenses approved by FSF and OSI.  Coincidentally, de
> Blanc worked for one and was elected president of the other.  Another
> conflict of interest.

Again, these kinds of accusations are - in my opinion - not suited to
a public forum like the "devel" mailing list, and they are irrelevant
to your initial "non-responsive maintanier" question (or even the
concerning removal of your blog from planet fedora).

Fabio

[0]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=953378;msg=12
[1]: https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Policy_for_nonresponsive_package_maintainers/