Re: Non-responsive maintainer: pocock

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 11:47 AM Daniel Pocock <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07/03/2020 10:32, Julian Sikorski wrote:
>
> > In any case, Fedora is a more bleeding edge distro than Debian/Ubuntu
> > (First one of the foundations), so I am not sure how realistic it is to
> > be waiting for Debian/Ubuntu to include something before we can do it in
> > Fedora.
>
> Debian unstable/sid is similarly bleeding edge to rawhide
>
> Having the same dependencies in Debian sid and Fedora rawhide makes life
> easier for everybody: library maintainers, upstreams and package
> maintainers.
>
> I've always tried to work that way, that is the very reason I
> volunteered to maintain asio in both Debian and Fedora.  I also put the
> necessary effort into supporting Debian backports and Fedora EPEL so
> these things could be widely available.

Thank you for putting in the effort to making stuff broadly available
to the Fedora community. I think you might be doing a slight
disservice by holding things back in Fedora, but that is your
prerogative. In general, I would advise keeping your packages updated
in Fedora unless there's a really good technical reason not to.

> >> Is there a convenient way for upstreams to make CI builds on the latest
> >> Fedora rawhide in parallel with our travis-ci Ubuntu builds?
> >>
> > I am not aware of a ci service using Fedora, both appveyor and travis
> > appear to be using ubuntu.
>
> I have some ideas about how to address this
>
> There is a similar script to use Docker inside travis-ci, using Docker
> for a pure Debian sid build, rather than the default Ubuntu environment:
>
> https://travis.debian.net/
>
> Could a Fedora equivalent exist?

We do have the Zuul based CI that the Fedora CI folks are working on:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Zuul-based-ci

I don't know if they have the ability to support projects from GitHub as well.

> Maybe OBS could also be relevant:
> https://openbuildservice.org/

Fedora COPR is designed to integrate well with software CI workflows,
and the Packit service is an instance of this: https://packit.dev/

Packit may be able to help for this specific thing you're looking for.