Re: kernel rpm split

Dne 07. 02. 20 v 13:47 Neal Gompa napsal(a):
On Fri, Feb 7, 2020 at 4:00 AM Daniel Mach <dmach@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote >> Dne 06. 02. 20 v 19:54 Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek napsal(a):
- move the Requires:linux-firmware (or change to Recommends) from kernel-core,
    have kernel Requires:linux-firmware
It would be nice to introduce hardware specific Requires implemented.
If you have the hardware, a Provide would be dynamically generated (an
udev rule?) and used in rich dependencies to pull the firmware package
you need.

I believe SUSE is doing something similar already, but I don't quite
like references to PCI-IDs, for example:
Supplements: (kernel-default and
namespace:modalias(pci:v000080EEd0000BEEFsv*sd*bc*sc*i*))

We already have kmods generate modalias provides if they're associated
with hardware, I think? So it wouldn't be that bad to have DNF trigger
inject virtual supplements that would pull in kernel modules.

I'm not opposed to that as long as someone outside the DNF team manages the rules. We are in the package management business and know only a little about hardware, firmware, kmods and how they relate to each other.