kernel rpm split

Hello kernel maintainers, hello Fedora developers,

I'm looking into the split of kernel packages. The split into subpackages
seems interesting, but there are many dependencies between the packages,
so it is usual to end up with all of them installed.

E.g. for a simple VM, by design, kernel-core contains a basic set of
modules that should be enough to boot. I see that in a standard
libvirt guest, the only modules from kernel-modules that are loaded
are for sound hardware and "usbnet", all which I'd be fine without.

Another example: we'd like to explore building an initramfs directly
from rpms, without dracut, only systemd and a standard packages to
bring up the hardware. Some modules need to be installed, so the
kernel can load the from the initramfs, but the kernel itself should
not, since it is provided "externally" by the boot loader.

But:
the basic modules are in one rpm with kernel-core
kernel-core Requires linux-firmware (which is 240MB)
kernel-modules Requires kernel-uname-r, which is provided by kernel-core
kernel Requires kernel-core-uname-r, kernel-modules-uname-r

Would it be possible to make some changes:

- split out the modules from kernel-core package into a new subpackage
  kernel-basic-modules, kernel-core can Recommend or Require it

- remove the Requires on kernel-core (or change to Recommends) from
  kernel-modules, so it can be installed standalone

- move the Requires:linux-firmware (or change to Recommends) from kernel-core,
  have kernel Requires:linux-firmware

I think this would be useful for playing with various minimization scenarios.

Zbyszek