Re: kernel rpm split

On Fri, Feb 07, 2020 at 12:09:37PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I'd strongly suggest you look at supermin before going any further.

Supermin is an interesting project, but at this point we're not
looking for a tool to craft the image. We're still at an earlier stage
of changing how we do some rpm packages so that it is easy to do an
installation that is small without custom logic.

The idea is that the initramfs, once you include lvm, md, dm, encryption,
networking, clevis, emergency utilities, scsi, iscsi, raid in various
flavours, some graphics drivers, usb, bluetooth, etc, is a lot like a
the full distribution. Things would be a lot easier if we could just
use the same tools and daemons from the same packages as in the
host. Supermin (and other tools) have support for creating something
custom and small, and here the goal is the opposite: to do "standard".

Fedora currently uses dracut, and the problem is that nobody has a
good grasp on what goes in dracut. There's a lot of custom logic and
custom code and reimplementation of things, and people who deal with
the same functionality in the host system don't necessarily know what
happens in the initramfs. In the past such a setup made sense, but now
it seems that the tradeoffs are different.

As to how to actually construct the image, that's an open question for
now. Doing it "by hand" is not too onerous, but in the long term some
tool we'll most likely be used. Whether it's supermin, os-build, or
something else doesn't matter at this point.

Zbyszek