Re: Ideas for better development processes when maintaining hundreds of packages

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 at 06:10, Damian Ivanov <damianatorrpm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe now that RH is part of IBM they have changed their short sighted view of not collaborating on a better build system like OBS.

That is looking for a boogeyman under the bed to blame something that
has a long long history of not happening. Ever since OBS has been out,
there has been a yearly 'why isn't Fedora moving to OBS' thread
somewhere and there have been long lists of 'why we aren't' over and
over again. It has nothing to do with being part of IBM and a lot
about

1. Moving to OBS would have required rewriting a lot of spec files to
match what OBS looked for (this has gotten better over time but some
rewrite would be needed).
2. Different needs of the build system. The koji system has an
accounting logic which is tied into giving certain assurances about
when, where, who, and how software was compiled. OBS has different
accounting logic. You either have to spend a long time trying to
figure out how to convert the two, or dump one and start over with
OBS. Then you are pretty much starting a new operating system.
3. Changes occur by the people who put the work in. The people who are
spending 60-80 hours a week trying to keep Fedora compiling and
running know Koji. If another group wants to set up and run OBS to
make their own OS, they need to show up with the hardware, storage,
and time to do so because there is no slack with current people,
hardware, storage to stop running Koji.
4. Creative differences which are a fine line from Not Invented Here
but still exist.

We tend to focus on 4 a lot in these conversations because it makes
for the most 'fun' drama. We tend to ignore 2 and 3 because they are
'someone else's problem' that could become our own if we let it. The
problem is that 4 is a molehill and 1,2,3 are mountains of different
heights.

> As I recall back than it was already able to bootstrap on centos and fedora and build packages and the only argument against it was legacy support with mock / koji which provide a fraction of functions that OBS does (mostly things that make it easy to get new contributers like a web interface to edit spec files and webhooks not to mention that these Mass rebuilt emails could be a thing of the past).
>
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2020, 12:17 Christophe de Dinechin, <dinechin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Please no. Sometimes you just fix a typo or add a comment and there's no need
>> > to rebuild until a next release.
>>
>> This “sometimes" is the rare case. So having a “push —nobuild” would address that need.

Stephen J Smoogen.