Re: Git Forge Requirements: Please see the Community Blog

On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 at 12:17, Martin Kolman <mkolman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-01-22 at 13:28 -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > >
> > >         Hi,
> > > I do not want to pollute this thread with unrelated information,
> > > but for what it worth, I only recently realized that GitLab CE, the one
> > > hosted on GNOME, does not have searching working properly. I filled a
> > > bug upstream [1]. Being able to reliably search in issues is rather
> > > essential function, from my point of view. I'm wondering how they can
> > > search for anything when they've filled 10k+ issues.
> > >
> > > Anyway, if you think this doesn't belong to this thread then I
> > > apologize.
> >
> > Fulltext search in GitLab is an Enterprise Edition feature and
> > requires a separate deployment of ElasticSearch.
> Ouch - really ? :-(
>
> Well, I guess that demonstrates quite nicely the dangers of open core projects right here and there...

Well even if it wasn't opencore .. the search tools would still
require a lot of infrastructure to work. An allure of pagure has been
that it runs on 1 system front and back. To get the feature set that
people seem to want from gitlab would require about 6 to 18 systems
(the 'this is how it should be done if you want the minimum of dealing
with corner cases') with each sub-service adding on more systems for
its own cluster. You also find that you need to upgrade your hardware
to have 10 gigabit switches, fast storage, and other clustering tools
which were not budgeted for. Yes you can do it with less but you will
keep running into corner cases as you have more and more use-cases
from different developer groups. So you end up standing up a large set
of hardware and find yourself still focusing on running something
other than building software.

And that is the real allure of going to an outsourced software stack.
They deal with running things and fixing all the corner cases your
developers will find. [Whether those fixes actually ever occur is for
some future crisis.] You can then focus on the main job that you
started off on, regularly making an OS.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.