Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:28:41AM +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> Dne 13. 01. 20 v 10:46 Petr Pisar napsal(a):
> > No, it won't as we have competing %{version}-%{release} strings among multiple
> > packages. E.g. perl source bundles an Encode module. And we know the module
> > is updated frequenly on CPAN. Thus we build perl-Encode-V1-R1 from perl.spec,
> > then we build perl-Encode-V1-R2 from CPAN perl-Encode.spec so that R2 >= R1, then we
> > rebuild perl.spec again with disabled perl-Encode subpackage.
>
> Wow!
> Why it is not in separate package then? It can have the same Source0, but if
> subpackage have different release cadence, then I see no reason why it is
> a subpackage.

The subpackage is part of a standard library (because it is bundled) and other
packages including the standalone one need it for building or for running.
Therefore we keep the subpackage available for the short time when
bootstrapping a new perl.

(Theoretically if we disabled tests and reimplemented build scripts of the
standalone packages, wou could remove the subpackages completely. But we
consider that more labour intensive, fragile and risky than the currenct
approach.)

-- Petr