Re: What would it take to drop release and changelog from our spec files? (and do we want to?)

Le 2020-01-13 11:28, Miroslav Suchý a écrit :
Dne 13. 01. 20 v 10:46 Petr Pisar napsal(a):
No, it won't as we have competing %{version}-%{release} strings among multiple packages. E.g. perl source bundles an Encode module. And we know the module is updated frequenly on CPAN. Thus we build perl-Encode-V1-R1 from perl.spec, then we build perl-Encode-V1-R2 from CPAN perl-Encode.spec so that R2 >= R1, then we
rebuild perl.spec again with disabled perl-Encode subpackage.

Wow!
Why it is not in separate package then? It can have the same Source0,
but if subpackage have different release cadence,
then I see no reason why it is a subpackage.

Personaly, I tend to consider that something that gets definitely bundled inside another project, and is no longer released separately, surrenders its right for separate versioning, and inherits this versioning from the bundler, whatever upstream feels about it (if they want to keep versioning separate they can provide a separate release).

Of course if it *is* still released separately packaging the bundled version instead of the real upstream is bad practice.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot