Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 3:02 AM Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Humm, so you turn off gpg verification of RPMs you install? Nah, you
> don't, because you put trust in Fedora that the RPMs they build are
> somewhat safe to use. That's what vendor trust means. Since regular
> users (and even very technical ones) cannot personally validate the
> trustworthiness of compiled code we outsource that to distributions,
> and trust the vendor's benevolence and understanding of things. And
> that's the correct way to build integrity for OS resources.

We also have the source code, for Fedora, which we can compile and
compare, which has its own trust issues. Vendor trust should not be
automatic nor absolute. GPG keys for RPM are also validation keys, and
provide robust, procedurally integrated checksum. for content that is
often transferred unencrypted and thus is vulnerable to transmission
or local transcription errors. Since most yum configurations publish a
pointer to an offsite public GPG key, they're not that useful for
individually maintained 3rd party repos that people may choose to use.

It's rather different when vendor keys are used to encrypt a user's
*own* data. That's the core issue of Trusted Computing. Even if you
generate your own keys, the vendor normally holds a copy in escrow,
and the vendor has the root keys tied to your personal hardware and
work their way down the keychain. It's part of hte lost key data
recovery system, if systemd is going to enter the game of encrypting
local filesystems robustly. I'd suggest taking a look at the lessons
learned from Trusted Computing.