Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

Hi,

Am 05.12.19 um 10:33 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>>> Also note that on Fedora Workstation we default to suspend-on-idle
>>> these days. i.e. when you don't actually work on the laptop the laptop
>>> is suspended and not reachable via SSH at all, hence adding
>>> systemd-homed doesn't make anything worse in that regard...
>> How do you wanne access data on your homeserver, when you are at
>> work?
> Fedora Workstation is — as the name suggests — a workstation OS. It
> enforces policies by deault (such as suspend-on-idle) that are not
> appropriate for a server.
My "workstation" -> is <- my homeserver, or do you have a 19" data rack
in your home, just to be able to suspend your "workingstation", when you
go to your actual work? No, you don't :) And i don't speculate if you
either have a Laptop with all your data on it or a big pc to work with,
which is fast & has big storages and good GFX capabilities, because it
will be something i did not imagine. So don't assume, you know how
people use their stuff, make something universal. IMHO systemd and it's
components are there to start a system, not to control it afterwards.
That is out of systemds business.

> Which has nothing to do with systemd-homed btw, it's the existing
> Fedora Workstation behaving that way.

Quite right, so why do you wanne take control of it?

> Yeah, isn't it great that when you leave your laptop on your desk
> unattended you know for sure it's securely locked after a while and
> can only be unlocked from you again with your pw?

As long as my running system software does not have any major flaws, I
already sleep well, if it gets stolen.

There are very cool components, most of the users have no knowledge
about, that auto lock your system, when you leave the physical area
around your laptop. It's already implemented in Fedora today. i.e. via
detecting the absence of BT beacons (of any sort) in the near vicinity
of the laptop.

With FDE running and "Suspend-to-disk" selected in your screensafer
settings, you get asked for your password on hw wakeup before your
system gets back running. If someone wants to use such things, he
already can.

Where is the advantage of homed, considering, that only encrypting
/home, is a major security flaw by itself. All your goals are already
there and it's more useful and secure too :) I really have a problem
understanding why you wanne implement a security flaw and call it "better".

If you wanne improve security, please focus on userfriendlyneess for
things like "disabling unused usb ports"/"whitelist for usb
ids"/"insecure Highspeed USB network adapter detection"  same for any
plugable port you have in your hw. And last, but not least, "motherboard
serial number validation on wakeup" to counter the switch of hw components.

> I love you too, my friend.

Cu :D

Best regards,
Marius