Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Do, 05.12.19 12:02, Marius Schwarz (fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> With FDE running and "Suspend-to-disk" selected in your screensafer
> settings, you get asked for your password on hw wakeup before your
> system gets back running. If someone wants to use such things, he
> already can.

Well, the way this has been traditionally done is that the lock screen
is displayed by a program running under the user's identity and that
the user's data is entirely unlocked the entire time during suspend,
i.e. the decryption key is lying around in memory just fine. If you
steal a laptop that way and read out the memory (which sufficiently
sophisticated hackers can, via thunderbolt DMA for example, or finding
an exploit in the screen locker, like we prominently had in the past
in xscreensaver) then you have full acces to your full data. The
intention here is to lock things down so that while the system is
suspended you can rest safely that it is as locked down as it would be
if the device was turned off. i.e. so that if you manage to exploit
xscreensaver or if you manage to exploit thunderbolt, or manage to
exploit the kernel it doesn't help you anything, because the crypto
keys are not present on the device anymore.

> Where is the advantage of homed, considering, that only encrypting
> /home, is a major security flaw by itself. All your goals are
> already there and it's more useful and secure too :) I really have a
> problem understanding why you wanne implement a security flaw and
> call it "better".

Locking down the OS itself and locking down the user's home are two
different things, because OS integrity should be bound to different
mechanisms than user data encryption. (i.e. OS integrity should be
bound to vendor trust or TPM, while user data should be bound to
user's security credentials).

> If you wanne improve security, please focus on userfriendlyneess for
> things like "disabling unused usb ports"/"whitelist for usb
> ids"/"insecure Highspeed USB network adapter detection"  same for any
> plugable port you have in your hw. And last, but not least, "motherboard
> serial number validation on wakeup" to counter the switch of hw components.

Uh, locking down USB like that doesn't really work. USB has no
mechanism for recognizing devices securely, which means any whitelist
is pointless because any device can claim to be whatever it wants to
be. (And yes, it would be great if we could be a bit more secure
there, but it's an orthogonal problem)

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin