Re: Not shipping 3 types of bytecode in python3-libs?

Dne 19. 11. 19 v 20:32 Miro Hrončok napsal(a):
> On 19. 11. 19 20:20, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> In the spirit of positivity and collaboration, I spent a few minutes
>> looking at the results given to try to find some easy wins. Here's what
>> I found:
>>
>> python3-libs ships multiple copies of its pyc files, corresponding to
>> different optimization levels. I don't know what a good packaging
>> solution to that would look like, but if we only shipped the -O2 kind
>> (which seems appropriate for minimization, as they're smallest) we
>> could drop about 13M out of 32M, which seems pretty great.
>
> Note that it would make more sense to drop the optimized ones, as most
> of our packages invoke Python without -O or -OO.
>
> It would certainly need more planning and figuring out what shall
> happen if the optimized bytecode is not there and users actually run
> Python with -O or -OO, but we can discusses that if you want.

Not mentioning that when we ship the .pyc files, the .py files should be
moved into optionally installed -src subpackages, as every other
compiled language does. Now with weak dependencies, even the camp who
thinks that it is very valuable to have .py files installed alongside
the .pyc files could be satisfied by default.

Vít