Re: Encrypted DNS in Fedora

On Thu, 2019-11-07 at 21:25 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> Le jeudi 07 novembre 2019 à 18:32 +0100, Sheogorath via devel a écrit
> :
> > The talk is right on many points, but I think it dismisses the most
> > essential point DoH does right: DNS is a decision of the device
> > owner.
>
> And the owner should be able to delegate this decision to the network
> manager.

Then let's talk on how we properly implement this delegation process
instead of asking ourselves whenever we want DoH or DoT or not.

Let's find a DHCP/RA option that indicates a DoT or DoH service is
available or something similar. Simply stating "encrypted DNS is
pointless" is nothing I consider a valid solution.

> Suggesting static config is good enough outside the enterprise is a
> joke. Count the number of networked things in the modern home, it
> grows
> every years. A lot of those roam, either because they are designed to
> roam (smartphones) or because people vacation, because they like to
> share their stuff with friends and families, because they like to
> show
> of. A lot of those are cheap-ass gadgets that will revert (reset) to
> factory settings at the slightest problem (sometimes, just because
> the
> battery is dead, the juice was cut, and settings are kept in memory).

And how are those devices related to Fedora? I mean, our goal here
should be to do things right or at least better. When we take those IoT
devices as our standards, then we can throw away SELinux, run stone-age
kernels and we can also ignore the existence of updates for our
systems. We are Fedora, we want to lead tech towards a better
standards, not stay around in the status quo where everyone else
already is.

> Ansible or puppet are not designed to solve such generic situations.
>
> Network management is no longer an enterprise-only concern.
>
> Treating it as a sysadmin problem does not work.
>
> The network happened. And not only internet side.

I really hope for more IPv6 to happen (properly), so pretty much
everything becomes the internet. It makes so many things a lot easier
and a lot less security through obscurity.

--
Signed
Sheogorath