Re: Encrypted DNS in Fedora

Le mardi 05 novembre 2019 à 19:45 +0100, Tomasz Torcz a écrit :

>   I don't agree with centralisation.  You should run your own DoH
> endpoint,
> using Google's, Cloudflare's or Quad9's servers is a shortcut.

DoH has zero integration and manageability. “It’s not centralized” (but
you have to set manually DoH settings in all apps *or* rely on a
centralized Google DoH whitelist) is an utter joke.

Real decentralization means something like DHCP works on your own
network. So you can run your own load balancers and all the other cool
free software things that rely on name resolution.

But if you delegate DoH endpoint selection to DHCP all the “protection”
benefits of DoH vanish. Which just shows that the actual “protection”
of DoH is giving the kingdom keys to a small centralized cartel of
cloud companies (just like they gave the certificate keys to a small
number of CA companies, and *that* was a brillant success).

DoH works for people for whom network = Google + Chrome + Android. And
useful idiots who find nowheristan’s police practices outrageous but
turn a blind eye to the USA privatized surveillance state.

The day DoH actually gets decentralized the nowheristan state and its
ISPs will run DoH servers like everyone else and influence their
results exactly like today, and the nowheristan population will use the
result by default just like they use the state and ISP servers by
default.

Because that’s what decentralization actually means. Same thing as free
software. You don’t get to choose who runs things — tech has no
political opinions (neither does Google BTW, see: China). And the state
has all the big guns, wherever you reside on Earth. Because the state
not having all the big guns basically means any nutcake can butcher
everyone around him with impunity (see: failed states).

The only thing aggressive DoH migration gets you today is instant
depreciation of Google competitors. And you may not like them, but
you’ll like a world where Google has no remaining competitors even
less.

And all the money Google will make of DoH will serve to find ways to
track and profile you even further.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot