Re: List of Python 2 packages to be removed mid-November (= in a week)

On 07. 11. 19 14:59, Felix Schwarz wrote:

Am 07.11.19 um 14:57 schrieb Felix Schwarz:
Is there some automation to remove "python2-" subpackages or do you plan some
"single hero"-style changes? If neither what is the plan for maintainers who
just don't do anything?

I should do more reading before replying to emails :-/

Change description says:
"The package removal will be executed in an automated fashion."

However, there are some things that still need to be considered here.

1. Automation is not 100 % accurate (some packages are very custom), there is a great deal of single-hero-style adapting of the automation results. I've been doing this for a ~year. I use Zbyszek's https://pagure.io/pyrenamer/blob/master/f/depython2ize.py and adapt the package by hand.

2. Some maintainers prefer a singlespec with %ifs and our automation just deletes stuff.

3. Some packages FTBFS for unrelated reasons.

4. Some packagers will be angry if we touch their packages. They will say we are militant, hostile or that we haven't warned them enough. They will say that they were working on porting. Unfortunately, this is an arguably controversial change and we anticipate push back after it gets done.

What **I think** we'll do is that once the deadline passes, we'll say "remove your Python 2 packages from this list and don't care about the dependencies". A great amount of packages is maintained by the SIG and we can handle it. Another great amount is maintained by maintainer who actually want to do this.

For the rest, we might create bugzillas like we do here:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=PY2REMOVAL&hide_resolved=1

Note that this is not the current plan, but just my rough thoughts.
The truth is, the "execution" of this change is still not fully figured out.
We'll keep devel@ informed.

--
Miro Hrončok