Re: List of Python 2 packages to be removed mid-November (= in a week)

On 07. 11. 19 13:59, Felix Schwarz wrote:

Am 07.11.19 um 13:01 schrieb Petr Viktorin:
If this took you by surprise, don't panic. It's possible to change the
default. Let us know and we'll work things out.

Somehow I feel like I don't understand the report – or we are approaching an
(almost) unmitigated disaster here: There are so many "high profile" packages
which are slated for removal that we might wipe out half of our Python
packaging eco system.

What are the high profile packages you are talking about?

We actually are wiping out the entire Python 2 ecosystem here, that is the point.

However I hope that I might misinterpret the report:
pviktori
   python-six
     python2-six (→ PY2)

The spec file says:
# python2 is enabled by default, Fedora 32+ exception is anticipated
%bcond_without python2

However when I check the fesco tracker I don't find any issue to request the
exception:
https://pagure.io/fesco/issues?status=all&search_pattern=six

It was expected, but so far no package with an exception request needed it.

There are many, many more packages like python-mako and python-sqlalchemy and
it would be *very* painful if they went away (as we'd have to remove *a lot*
of dependent packages).

All the dependent packages are listed in this report.
What listed packages would be painful to remove?

Note that I don't recognize libraries as high profile, unless they are needed by high profile software. If you disagree and consider a library high profile by itself, you can request an exception for that library, but unless you make a very strong case, I'd vote against.

I could probably fix a few packages myself but right now I don't have any
"extra powers" besides being a regular maintainer. Requesting the necessary
permissions would take quite a while as I am trying to get in touch with some
maintainers basically for months (without success).

What packages you need to fix?

The problem seems to be that even packages maintained by the Python SIG still
require python2 (without fesco exception).

Some of mine as well. I'm waiting for the deadline to drop them, if not other package with exception drags them in.

What can I do to cut down the number of Python 2 subpackages?

Wait.

--
Miro Hrončok