Re: List of Python 2 packages to be removed mid-November (= in a week)

Am 07.11.19 um 13:01 schrieb Petr Viktorin:
> If this took you by surprise, don't panic. It's possible to change the
> default. Let us know and we'll work things out.

Somehow I feel like I don't understand the report – or we are approaching an
(almost) unmitigated disaster here: There are so many "high profile" packages
which are slated for removal that we might wipe out half of our Python
packaging eco system.

However I hope that I might misinterpret the report:
> pviktori
>   python-six
>     python2-six (→ PY2)

The spec file says:
> # python2 is enabled by default, Fedora 32+ exception is anticipated
> %bcond_without python2

However when I check the fesco tracker I don't find any issue to request the
exception:
https://pagure.io/fesco/issues?status=all&search_pattern=six

There are many, many more packages like python-mako and python-sqlalchemy and
it would be *very* painful if they went away (as we'd have to remove *a lot*
of dependent packages).

I could probably fix a few packages myself but right now I don't have any
"extra powers" besides being a regular maintainer. Requesting the necessary
permissions would take quite a while as I am trying to get in touch with some
maintainers basically for months (without success).

The problem seems to be that even packages maintained by the Python SIG still
require python2 (without fesco exception).

To be clear: This is a about packages with active upstream, which support
Python 3 and just happen to have a Python 2 subpackage in Fedora rawhide.

What can I do to cut down the number of Python 2 subpackages?

Felix