Re: Add a rule to have a compose when Fedora branched

On Mon, 2019-10-28 at 14:29 -0400, Ben Cotton wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 1:43 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 02:09:04PM +0200, jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
> > > I guess it will be easier to just think about the branching date
> > > when
> > > Flock schedule is creating. However, I'm not familiar with the
> > > scheduling so I'm probably not the right person who should answer
> > > this.
> >
> > Perhaps Ben Cotton could chime in here. I think now we have moved
> > planning the schedules years in advance, it's the flock schedule
> > that
> > moves around a lot based on when facilitys are available and other
> > things. I guess we just need to take the branching date in account
> > if
> > it's looking like flock will be near it?
> >
> I can! I had a nice conversation with mboddu last week when I was in
> Westford and the short answer is that there are no easy options.
> You're right that Flock will move around some based on facility
> availability, cost, etc. Now that the schedule is more predictable
> (or
> at least more explicitly stated), we can try to accommodate it in the
> Flock planning.
>
> In the next week or so, I hope to publish a commblog post that will
> include a few different options and what impact those options will
> have on the schedule.
>
> In the meantime, I'm curious about the history here. In my 10-ish
> years in the Fedora community prior to taking this job, I never
> really
> paid that much attention to the branch point. Is this a problem we've
> had in the past, or was F31 particularly bad. I know we get failed
> composes a lot, but my understanding is that this was a perfect
> storm.

As far as I remember this problem is not new. It just got really
problematic on F31. However, I remember that almost every release we
have a gab between the branching and compose creation. Most of the time
it's not that long. Please correct me Kevin if I'm not wrong here.

Jirka