Re: Add a rule to have a compose when Fedora branched

On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 11:19 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:59:30AM +0200, jkonecny@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > FYI: FESCO ticket was created
> >
> > https://pagure.io/fesco/issue/2246
>
> Yeah, and we had a bit more discussion there, which we probibly
> should
> have just had here. ;)
>
> In particular bcotton asked how we avoid scheduling the branch date
> "right after" flock:
>
> "This is a good idea, but we'll need to figure out what it actually
> means.
>
>     How do we define "right after"?
>     The schedule is set well before Flock is planned, so would the
> expectation
>     be that Flock is scheduled to avoid this or that we should adjust
> the
>     release schedule after Flock is set? If we adjust the release
> schedule
>     how does that impact other milestones? Right now, all schedule
> milestonesi
>     are effectively anchored off the target release date. If we have
> to delay
>     the branch point to accommodate Flock, do we move the release
> date out
>     or do we compress other parts of the schedule?"

I guess it will be easier to just think about the branching date when
Flock schedule is creating. However, I'm not familiar with the
scheduling so I'm probably not the right person who should answer this.

> Igor said:
>
> "I'm strongly against this as a rawhide user. We should not block
> rawhide by anything, we do snapshot of it at some point and stabilize
> it
> instead."
>
> So, any thoughts on those? I think we could perhaps drop the 'stop
> rawhide composes until we get a branched' from the proposal anyhow,
> as
> hopefully before too long we will have rawhide calling itself
> 'rawhide'
> instead of the number and this should avoid a lot of the confusion
> that
> happend this cycle with branching not being composed yet and rawhide
> composing correctly.

If the new compose stabilization will be only a few days (which is what
we want to achieve here) then it shouldn't be a problem for Rawhide.
On the other side it could be fine without the freeze but I would like
to avoid problems when branching Fedora is pointing to a Rawhide which
is more and more diverged from what will be in the new Fedora...