Re: Next F31 push?

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 09:19:15PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Miro Hrončok wrote:
> > Actually:
> > https://github.com/rpm-software-management/dnf-plugins-extras/pull/166
>
> Ewww! This kind of hacks should NEVER be accepted in a production
> distribution!
>
> This hack will also NOT fix the issue for users like me who use dnf directly
> rather than the system-upgrade plugin.
>
> The right thing to do would be to delay the release until we have a real
> fix, as long as it takes. Even if it takes weeks. And of course to unfreeze
> the contents in the meantime because it could take weeks and there is no
> telling how long.
>
> And you know what my preferred fix would be. :-) But of course it takes time
> to fix the demodularization upgrade path in DNF and to demodularize at least
> the modules that are causing the errors here.
>
> Sadly, Fedora has always preferred rushing out a release with this type of
> crude hacks instead of fixing things properly, without introducing such
> technical debt. And this does not seem to have changed. Sad. :-(

I think you're being unfair here. "We" (as in FESCo and various people commenting
in the bug) asked dnf people to do exactly this — apply a hack to allow people
to do upgrades successfully. This ain't pretty, but the goal is to a) solve
the problem for Joe User, b) do it in reasonable time.
At least I am happy to see this proposed.

People who use dnf directly are not covered by this, but they are also
much more likely to know how to fix issue themselves.

Zbyszek