Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On pe, 18 loka 2019, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
That's my point -- requiring parallel installability is not really a
MUST, especially in my area. You are driving this requirement as if
nothing else could solve your issues.

I am not. This is a strawman.

What I am saying is that modules on which other modules have versioned
dependencies cause version conflicts if they are not parallel-installable
(which is sadly the case now). There is no need for different versions of
leaf modules to be parallel-installable in most cases. (It could be useful
in some special cases, such as the game Battle for Wesnoth where savegames
are only usable with a specific release branch, but that is not the common
case. For the typical server application, I agree that it would be useless.)
ok, so your argument is for having module streams installable in
parallel for cases where they provide content that doesn't conflict on
rpm level.

I've been told this is not possible, so far, due to lack of right
metadata connection top to bottom between all layers involved (rpm,
libsolv, dnf, repositories, etc). I don't know how far that holds but I
would imagine this issue would hold for whatever technology is used to
aggregate sets of packages in the collection of repositories.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer