Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On to, 17 loka 2019, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Dependencies aren't arbitrary; if they were, there would be probably no
need to waste our time in working on the whole build part. Whether that
is useful to you or other subset of Fedora maintainers is not
guaranteed. However, using modular streams allows to solve problems you
cannot easily solve otherwise within the same distribution for some use
cases. This is one part of value it brings that seems to be constantly
ignored with overly negative tone.
[snip]
Sure, for those things that can be installed in parallel. This is not
true for a wast amount of software, we have other means to deal with it
beyond what is being discussed in this thread.

Everything can be installed in parallel if appropriately packaged.

Having done the packaging tricks to allow kdelibs3-devel and kdelibs4-devel
to coexist (in the same /usr prefix, something upstream did not support), I
know exactly what I am talking about. (And for the next major version,
kf5-*-devel, we actually got upstream to care about this, so it is parallel-
installable with kdelibs3-devel and kdelibs4-devel out of the box. That is
really the ideal state to reach.)
This does not work for server components and is not generalizable. For
example, you cannot have multiple versions of Samba running on the same
system. You cannot have multiple versions of FreeIPA running on the same
system either. These server components have requirements beyond package
installability.

We have an answer for those use cases with VMs and containers and they
aren't requiring parallel installability.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer