Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:21 AM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:13:40 PM MST Neal Gompa wrote:
> > the end goal of the modularity project is to enable
> > a fully modularized distribution
>
> Was this ever clarified anywhere? I highly doubt that it would have been able
> to even begin, if that goal had been communicated.. Especially considering
> that's not even possible.

That was how this project started. Fedora Server Boltron was the first
attempt at it, but it was a lot more than they could do at once, so it
was scaled back. However, I don't think there will be any more scaling
back of the modularity project. It's far too important for that to
happen.

And to be fair, while it is a hard problem to solve, it's a worthy
one. It makes sense and if done well, could really distinguish Fedora
from the rest in providing a way for codifying individual lifecycles
separately from the distribution. Moreover, with all the container
circus stuff going on, it's become even more important to enable some
kind of parallel availability.

Sadly, I think a lot of people are learning that investing so little
in infrastructure tooling (especially build and release tooling) for
the past decade has really hurt them. Koji living off 1.5 people for
several years, no *real* attempt to improve packager workflows since
the move to Dist-Git in 2010, and generally increasing package
collection with complex dependency chains has led to a situation where
all of our bandages have to come off at once, and we can see that the
wounds didn't heal as well as we thought.

Even the work to port our tooling to Python 3 has shown how badly
Fedora's tools have been maintained. What's worse, opportunities to
build communities around those tools to broaden the user and
contributor base clearly weren't taken, which allowed them to devolve
into Fedora-specific tooling or just plain rot. There's a lot of
corrective actions happening, some of it potentially overreacting, but
a lot of it is very justified.

It's going to be a long, hard road to get a good quality of life for
Fedora contributors again. There's more for table stakes, we've had
serious UX regressions in the past five years, and we have to start
seriously examining contributor pain points and dealing with them.