Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 9:40:31 PM MST Neal Gompa wrote:
> And to be fair, while it is a hard problem to solve, it's a worthy
> one. It makes sense and if done well, could really distinguish Fedora
> from the rest in providing a way for codifying individual lifecycles
> separately from the distribution. Moreover, with all the container
> circus stuff going on, it's become even more important to enable some
> kind of parallel availability.

If "parallel availability" is the problem Modularity is trying to solve, it
seems that Modularity is a failure. You can't install more than one version of
a package at once.

Anyway, this is off topic, in my eyes, the best course of action is to simply
require that all modules have a non-modular version in Fedora. This can also
be done for things that are currently default modules. Sure, those who have
existing installs with modules won't get their install fixed with the current
code, but new installations would. That's a start.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity