Re: Recommending proprietary software in Fedora

mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I think you're probably right that people mainly want Chrome for the
> multimedia support. But well, surely you are well aware that we'll
> never be able to point to the rpmfusion codecs packages in any official
> location. I know it's very frustrating, but the legal team is just
> trying to protect Red Hat (and Fedora). It would be helpful to please
> keep your argumentation within the realm of the legal constraints we
> have to respect.

So leave the task of informing users to people who are able to tell them the
true story instead of misleadingly offering them only a proprietary
alternative because it is the only one your lawyers let you tell them about.

I shall also note that, according to the FSF statements about GPL/LGPL and
patents, any patent license Google may have obtained for Chrome is likely
incompatible with the LGPL license on the FFmpeg code they are using to
implement the patented codecs, which would imply that Chrome would
necessarily be in violation of either the patents or the FFmpeg copyright
license. We just have no way to tell which is the case because Google's
patent arrangements are obviously not public.

        Kevin Kofler