Re: Recommending proprietary software in Fedora

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> One of the early drivers of this discussion as I recall was chrome,
> which is definitely a third party software that is also proprietary.

And one where it is entirely pointless to install the proprietary version
because there is Chromium (i.e., the Free Software version) in the Fedora
repositories. (Or as an alternative, there is also Falkon, which uses
QtWebEngine, which is derived from Chromium code.)

Support for patent-encumbered codecs can be obtained from RPM Fusion free
(chromium-libs-media-freeworld), also as Free Software. (For Falkon, there
is qt5-qtwebengine-freeworld.)

Support for Flash and Widevine DRM can be obtained (for both Chromium and
QtWebEngine) by dropping the respective proprietary blob into the correct
location on the file system. Those will still be proprietary, but you do not
have to use the proprietary version of the entire browser for that. And I am
actually browsing the web just fine with Falkon without those blobs, though
of course there are sites requiring them.

By actively offering the proprietary Chrome to the users instead of
explaining the above, you are actually pointing them towards using
proprietary software instead of Free Software for no reason.

        Kevin Kofler