Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

On Thu, 10 Oct 2019 at 20:33, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 12:28:37AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> >> The problem does not only happen if the module is a non-leaf at module
> >> level, but there can also be conflicts at package level, if the modules
> >> bundle non-leaf packages that then conflict between the 2 modules.
> >
> > Yes. I'm less worried about that because I think containerization is the
> > right answer for most of these cases. I realize that reasonable people can
> > disagree with me on this, but it's definitely the general trend on
> > servers, devices, and desktops.
>
> And I think you are absolutely wrong, for the reasons I have already stated
> in:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/LODBTWKZAKR2XPW2AAVVGFKYQH24FLKF/
>
> I shall also point out that there is no difference between module-level
> conflicts and package-level conflicts there: both can be "solved" by
> containerizing the conflicting modules. But this is a very heavy workaround
> for a conflict that is really the distribution's job to avoid. (I would even
> argue that this is even the whole purpose of a distribution, as opposed to
> just downloading random software directly from random sources.)

In agreement with Kevin more than I would expect. [I don't like the
absolute wrong part, but the lower paragraph is where I find
agreement] I truly believe containers are just micro-distributions and
they have exactly the  same social problems that a distribution are
meant to deal with.  it is just that they are so new and wow that most
people just think we can have infinite resources and hopes on it..
just like we did when you had thousands of linux distributions and
dozens new ones every day.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.