Re: Has fedpkg + dist-git replaced rpmbuild for building new/local packages?

On 10/8/19 3:26 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
On Tue, Oct 08, 2019 13:03:48 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
<snip>

Look, I'm no more in love with the traditional layout than anybody, I'm just
saying changing the default is not as simple as you'd like to think. Anybody
wanting to work on changing the default is welcome to propose it upstream,
patches welcome and all.

Would keeping this Fedora specific to begin with help slowly migrate
people over? What if we announce this via the change process for F32?
The change will be to modify `/usr/lib/rpm/macros` to use per-directory
locations as you'd suggested in the snippet since it is closer to the
dist-git workflow that is now in use. People can still easily revert to
rpmbuild/*, and the contingency plan will be to just not make the
change. I don't know how this would affect rpmdev-buildtree and how to
handle that (remove it?).

Changing rpm defaults will break existing setups, people will be unhappy and I'll get the blame regardless of who actually did it.

I'd rather suggest changing rpmdev-setuptree to configure things that way, it already modifies ~/.rpmmacros in various ways, some totally redundant (like setting %_topdir to a longtime rpm default). That starts nudging people towards that direction, but leaves existing setups alone.

	- Panu -