Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

On Fri, Oct 04, 2019 at 06:57:55PM +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 04. 10. 19 v 18:10 Fabio Valentini napsal(a):
> > On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 5:54 PM Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 08:17:37PM +0200, Ben Rosser wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for your words, I appreciate the support on the idea.

> >> So I've been wondering a little bit how we could solve this and I've been
> >> wondering if we couldn't leverage the PR workflow for this.
> >> Imagine:
> >> - You request a new repo to be created
> >> - The new repo is automatically created from your request
> >> - You fork it
> >> - Push your spec file and patches to your fork
> >> - Open a PR against the empty repo
> >>
> >> The package review becomes then a basic PR. We could leverage the tools we are
> >> working on for regular PRs.
> >> If the PR is approved, you get access granted to it.
> >> If the PR is denied, both repo are deleted.
> > This is an interesting idea.
>
> It is, but I am afraid that then we will have Foo, foo, FOO and fOo
> repositories and we won't be able to get rid of them for similar reasons
> we are not allowed to delete branches in current dist-git.

You are allowed to force-push/delete branches in your fork.
So if the issue is found before the review is approved this should be fine, no?

> Also this ignores possible issues with patented or inappropriately
> licensed code.
If the code is patented or with an inappropriate license, this should be caught
by the review no?
If so, then once the fork and its destination project are deleted we should be
fine again, no?

Note: I'm not proposing that we allow/encourage uploading to the lookaside cache
with this workflow, this would indeed create more work for infra/releng to clean
things up if the PR is rejected (but I'd point out that nothing prevents early
uploads of sources to the lookaside already today).

Pierre