Re: Package removal for FTBFS: Add automatic orphaning?

Miro Hrončok wrote:
> I hear that this was not properly communicated. I am already trying to
> figure out how to make that better -see my e-mail that started this thread
> or https://pagure.io/releng/issue/8599

IMHO, proper communication would have been to at least add another reminder
comment with a final warning to each still open FTBFS bug 1 or 2 weeks
before actually retiring the package.

The surprise came because months-old bugs that maintainers had long
forgotten of suddenly got acted upon with no further warning.

Luckily, in my case, the FTBFS for my KDE 3 packages actually resolved
itself (the output of the "file" tool on aarch64 was somehow changed back to
something the old libtool understands, so the workaround that I had already
applied to a handful packages and was intending to apply to the rest (had I
actually been warned before the mass retirement started) was no longer
needed) and so the bugs were closed as WORKSFORME and the packages not
retired. But I could easily had been hit too.

The 4 F31 FTBFS bugs that I'm CCed on are all already fixed now, by the way.
(Though qtwebkit will be screwed again when your draconian python2 removal
hits, but that is for another thread.)

        Kevin Kofler