Package removal for FTBFS: Add automatic orphaning?

The current policy says:

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/fesco/Fails_to_build_from_source_Fails_to_install/

7. A week before the mass branching, any packages which still have open FTBFS bugs from the previous release will be retired.

I propose we add a point just before that that says:

7. 7 weeks before the mass branching, any packages which still have open FTBFS bugs from the previous release will be orphaned. 8. A week before the mass branching, any packages which still have open FTBFS bugs from the previous release will be retired.

In theory, the 8. doesn't need to be there, but in practice, it prevents packagers from claiming the package but not fixing it.

This should raise awareness and prevent surprises.

But, there is one communication failure:

Imagine a maintainer says: "Yes, I'm working on this, fix will be ready next week." And the response is "Your package has been orphaned."

Obviously, we can prevent this by only orphaning packages with NEW bugz, but that doesn't really solve anything, because lot of the retired packages were actually ASSIGNED/POST/MODIFIED (for months).

--
Miro Hrončok