[HEADS-UP] gradle will go away

Hi everybody!

After some discussions, we (the Stewardship SIG) have decided that we
cannot continue to maintain gradle in fedora.

- the current version packaged in fedora is outdated (4.4.1, from Dec.
2017, vs. 5.5.1 from July 2019)
- it currently doesn't build itself (not even in bootstrap mode), and
needs an older version tagged into rawhide as a buildroot override to
even build (this doesn't work anymore, due to rawhide gating)
- the current version has open CVE issues associated with it on fedora 30+
- it pulls in a lot of dependencies (and newer versions pull in even
more), which we don't have the manpower to maintain (including scala,
sbt, zinc)
- other distros seem to have basically given up on building gradle as
well, since they mostly ship the same version as fedora (except Arch,
where they just package up the binaries upstream publishes)

The current plan is to drop support for building packages with gradle,
first by orphaning / retiring gradle, and then removing the gradle
support code from javapackages-tools (which produces the gradle-local
package).

Since there is a very limited number of actively maintained Java
packages that are built with gradle (less than 10), we expect the
breakage not to be too bad.

Also, there is a possibility to "port" projects that currently use
gradle to be built with maven instead, which has already been done for
some fedora packages (testng, junit5, aqute-bnd, etc.). This might be
the way forward for packagers who don't want their packages to be
broken but also don't want to / cannot maintain gradle and its
dependencies either.

The exact time of the retirement will depend on the fedora schedule
and our available time, but it will probably happen just before the
F31 branch point, to make sure there's enough time before the F31 beta
freeze to fix any breakage.

---

I've talked about this at flock, you can look at my slides here (the
gradle issue is towards the end):
https://decathorpe.fedorapeople.org/flock2019/stewardship.pdf

The talks are also all being recorded, but I don't know when the
videos will be available.

Fabio, for the Stewardship SIG