Re: systemd-243-rc1

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019, 20:19 Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 10:16:40AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hmm. I never really chipped into the ~ discussion, but it just occurred
> to me it intersects with a discussion I care quite a lot about: RPM
> version comparison. Especially RPM version comparison when all you have
> to deal with is a string that represents an RPM N(E)VR(A) somehow
> (that's 'name', 'epoch', 'version', 'release', 'arch').

I think we should do away with NEVRA comparison entirely and just use "R",
which would be an integer which would increase with each git commit and
never reset. Third party repos which want to override the base could use
modules to do so. (So it'd become NMRA.)

I'd prefer if modules even worked internally - before we start having third-party developers depend on them.

There would be no need for
complicated parsing or ordering logic, and we wouldn't need to care what the
upstream scheme is. Upstream could use rainbow color order and everything
would be fine. Plus, we could easily decide that _we_ need to go back to an
older version without introducing epoch madness.

You know, we *could* drop Epoch in rawhide entirely. Some few packages that have explicit requires with an Epoch would need to be fixed, but otherwise, everything would be fine, since release upgrades are distro-syncs anyway (only rawhide users would need to do dnf distro-sync instead of a simple upgrade, and only once). The packaging committee has been exploring that option some time ago.

Fabio

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>