Re: systemd-243-rc1

Le jeudi 01 août 2019 à 14:19 +0200, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Do, 01.08.19 10:14, Fabio Valentini (decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > Since these things are both the case, a simple 1:1 mapping from "-"
> > "~" (and even back) is exactly correct.
> > So I think the systemd.spec is doing exactly the right thing here.
> >
> > The only issue I see is the arbitrary (?) restriction that git tags
> > cannot contain the tilde character.
> > Or is that there for filesystem compatibility, because tags are
> > just files?
>
> git uses "~" for referencing commits relative to a commit identifier,
> see:
>
> https://git-scm.com/docs/git-rev-parse#Documentation/git-rev-parse.txt-emltrevgtltngtemegemHEADmaster3em
>
> Hence they do not allow it in tag names, to avoid the ambiguity.
>
> I guess RPM is the outlier for using ~ the way it uses it, I don't
> think much other software does that.

~ is a debianism, introduced in rpm because some felt it was going to
satisfy uptream needs for irregular preversiob versioning

what rpm likes, and pretty much all component management stacks like
and support, is pure series of numbers separated with dots, without the
-foo pre-version madness that breaks everywhere in slightly different
ways.

Don't release anything that is not a series of numbers separated with
dots, no one ever managed to define anything else that works for
everyone (and many tried).

The preversion in semver is basically "it will break right and left,
who cares, no one will use it". Written by idealists that forgot the
point of preversions is to be used and deployed so some testing is done
before final release.

--
Nicolas Mailhot