Re: systemd-243-rc1

On Mi, 31.07.19 20:52, Fedora Development ML (devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Instead, as Lennart explained, systemd has no strong release
> discipline. systemd didn't provide anyone a fixed version (requiring
> fishing the fix in its git, and wasting integrator time). And when,
> finally, systemd makes a new release, it does not even use integrator
> and automation-friendly semver numbering, but the awful human-oriented
> rcx labelling, that requires manual mapping to be understood by
> automation (wasting yet more integrator time).

Hmm? "rc" releases are testing releases, beta releases if you so
will. They aren't something to deploy in stable distros. They are
right for rawhide-style distros, and that's where it has been uploaded
to.

I mean, we don't do semver in systemd, because we only have one stream
of official releases. However, note that what semver says about
"pre-release" versions (which is what our rc thing is) is actually
pretty much in line with what we do:

        "A pre-release version MAY be denoted by appending a hyphen
        and a series of dot separated identifiers immediately
        following the patch version. Identifiers MUST comprise only
        ASCII alphanumerics and hyphen [0-9A-Za-z-]. Identifiers MUST
        NOT be empty. Numeric identifiers MUST NOT include leading
        zeroes. Pre-release versions have a lower precedence than the
        associated normal version. A pre-release version indicates
        that the version is unstable and might not satisfy the
        intended compatibility requirements as denoted by its
        associated normal version. Examples: 1.0.0-alpha,
        1.0.0-alpha.1, 1.0.0-0.3.7, 1.0.0-x.7.z.92"

(Quote from https://semver.org/#spec-item-9)

So, if you so will, we actually do follow semver on this part. We
don't follow it on the minor/patch parts, because we only do one stream
of releases, but on the "rc" part we are actually in line with the
spec, afaics.

> So, the relevancy to Fedora, that Lennart did not see, is that all this
> lack of care, results in longer breakage time in Fedora.

Well, I am pretty sure (like most RPMs) ours could use more love and
dedication, but there are only so many people working on this and only
24h in a day. If you feel it needs more love, then volunteer, and
help, or find somebody who is willing to.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Berlin