Re: Over 500 orphaned packages seeking new maintainers

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 12:07 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[SNIP]
> The issue is that no one has time to take ownership of these packages. The whole premise around Fedora's package model for the last 15 years is that the number of packagers and the number of packages linearly grew. You might end up having more packages, but there was always a stream of new packagers who could help take up some of the load and help out. The problem is that the number of needed packages has grown exponentially, and the number of interested packagers has either staid linear or decreased.

I agree and this is why I'd like to see a focus in Fedora's package
tooling on lowering the barrier to entry for new packagers (something
pkgdb did well, I thought) rather than focus on advanced features for
experienced packagers (where I think modularity applies).