Re: Over 500 orphaned packages seeking new maintainers

Hi,

On 29-07-19 23:35, Alexander Scheel wrote:
The reason I'm confused is because AFAIK last time jpackage-utils /
javapackages-tools also was part of the set of
packages causingproblems and javapackages-tools was picked up by the
Stewardship SIG (or so I believe) so I'm
surprised to see it go away again now.

One of the SIG's 3 reviewers here... I appreciate all the work Fabio and
Miro do (and am looking at making more time to help out on the opening-PR
front as well).

rpms/javapackages-tools (the RPM) was never maintained by us. mizdebsk only
just recently orphaned it. I think what you're thinking of is
modules/javapackages-tools (the module form, which contained other packages).
We picked up a lot of packages shipped in said module (which wasn't made
available in either the ursine or modular buildroots) and maintained them
in their ursine form. One very prominent example is a portion of the
apache-commons-* packages. See [0] and [1] for a complete list of the
overlap.

<sigh> what a mess we really need a way for ursine packages to at least
have BuildRequires on modules for ant and maven ...

I thought there was a FESCO ticket open for this ? Any progress on this ?

[0]: https://decathorpe.fedorapeople.org/stewardship-sig.html
[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/modules/javapackages-tools/blob/201901/f/javapackages-tools.yaml
Anyways I maintain 2 games and a few of their deps in Fedora which rely on
java, I guess it might be time to
create a java-games module and move things there.

Please don't randomly modularize things unless you have a great reason
for doing so. Please check with any dependencies you have may have to
see if they're invested in modularizing their packages as well. Consider the
community beyond just your packages.

AFAIK the java packages I maintain have nothing depending on them except
the leaf packages in the set which I maintain:

[hans@shalem fedora]$ sudo dnf repoquery --whatrequires ws-jaxme
<no output>

Interesting, I guess it is time to retire this one, comments anyone?

[hans@shalem fedora]$ sudo dnf repoquery --whatrequires cortado
freecol-0:0.11.6-9.fc30.noarch

[hans@shalem fedora]$ sudo dnf repoquery --whatrequires sdljava
bolzplatz2006-0:1.0.3-40.fc30.x86_64
sdljava-demo-0:0.9.1-43.fc30.noarch

[hans@shalem fedora]$ sudo dnf repoquery --whatrequires vecmath1.2
bolzplatz2006-0:1.0.3-40.fc30.x86_64
vecmath1.2-javadoc-0:1.14-20.fc30.noarch

Ok, so I see 3 possible ways forward with this:

1) The Steward SIG picks up jpackage-tools, or at least the bits which used to
be part of jpackage-utils

2) Remove the obsolete jpackage-utils stuff, which no longer is part of:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java

From:
cortado
sdljava
vecmath1.2
freecol
bolzplatz2006

And keep them in the main Fedora repos

Except that the guidelines say that packages should have:
Requires: javapackages-filesystem

And that is provided by javapackages-tools ...

3) move these 5 packages to a new java-games modular repo which has build
and runtime deps on the existing modular java repos.

@mizdebsk is this possible, are the modular repos available as
BuildRequires for other modules?

I guess that option 2. is the preferred solution here, right, although
we would need to fix the javapackages-filesystem issue.

Regards,

Hans