Re: Over 500 orphaned packages seeking new maintainers

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 5:36 PM Alexander Scheel <ascheel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Question (not for Fabio specifically, but for the list) modules can have
> > (Build)Requires on other modules
> > right?
>
> Yes, if the module maintainer is willing to expose their module in the
> BUILDROOT. That was PKI's problem: mizdebsk orphaned the ursine packages,
> exposed them in a module available only at runtime, and refused to open
> it up for build-time use. He wanted us to maintain our own versions of
> all of the packages we use that he modularized.

I don't think "refused" is a fair characterization. My understanding
of the problem is that creating a module is new (and change is hard),
and unnecessary for most basic packages, so long as their BRs are
available. Maintaining many of the java BRs across multiple releases
was becoming burdensome, so mizdebsk decided to take advantage of
modules to reduce their work load. The ideal at that point was to
expose modules to the ursine BUILDROOT, in order for ursine packagers
to have BRs on them without having to themselves be shipped in a
module. Without that, lots of ursine packages were going to suffer,
and that's what happened. Fedora is now extremely hostile to Java
packagers, unless 1) the java packager is willing to take on dozens or
hundreds of packages, or 2) the java packager is willing to learn how
to do all this module stuff.

I don't think it's fair to say that mizdebsk "refused" to open them up
to build-time use... but perhaps fair to say that they refused to open
them up to build-time use, when that didn't solve the underlying
problem (because they would still only be available to modular
packages, and not to ursine ones, which is what was needed).

At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

FWIW, I'm probably going to orphan the last of my Java packages, too,
because I don't have time to figure out how to create a bunch of
modules just so I can get the BRs I need. My time would be better
spent building ursine packages in COPR, outside of Fedora's modularity
efforts. I've been watching keenly, to see if the situation will
change, and Fedora will become Java-friendly again, but I don't see
that happening, sadly.