Re: Tagging commit hashes of Koji builds in dist-git

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 7:11 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 7:53 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Is there a reason why we do not tag dist-git commits, using a name which
> > is derived from the NEVR from a Koji build?
> >
> > How well does Git scale with thousands of tags?
> >

> We used to back in the CVS days, because we needed it for plague. Koji
> blocks duplicate submissions anyway, so it stopped being needed when
> we transitioned to Git.

it was not plague that needed it, using tags was the only way to
cjeckout the intended output, they had the problem that they were not
immutable, if you made a typo you forced in a new tag so you did not
need to bump the nvr

> We're going to probably introduce it for some automation in the near
> future, though.
>
> Git is not great with thousands of any kind of refs, be it branches or
> tags. It still works, it's just things like 'git log' get kind of
> expensive.

koji stores the git hash for all builds, writing a script to get the
hash for a given nvr would be trivial. it just means you have to be
online to retrieve the data than being able to get the date while
disconnected, if it was stored in git.

Dennis