Re: More than 10% of all Fedora spec files are not POSIX sh compliant

Le 2019-03-26 16:51, Japheth Cleaver a écrit :

The tooling around the original ecosystem seemed to have no rhyme or
reason with it, JPackage efforts never *fully* went anywhere,

JPackage certainly went somewhere, and this somewhere is Fedora/Red Hat.

To recap, JPackage existed because the JDK was not open source, preventing the packaging of Java software in Linux definitions. JPackage was successful first in making some of the key Java software of the time available on Linux systems on a controlled QAed way, and second in helping to convince SUN it needed to open the JDK code or it would lose control of the Java ecosystem (I can tell you that SUN and other big Java companies were definitely aware and looking at JPackage at the time SUN made its openjdk decision).

With the opening of the JDK the core reason for JPackage to exist outside distributions vanished and Red Hat promptly hired most of the core JPackage team and told it to work for RHEL/Fedora.

Therefore, since a decade at least the stewardship of defining of how to integrate Java software in Linux packages, and convincing upstream Java projects to do package-friendly things, has rested on Fedora and Red Hat. That is a much heavier burden than working with language communities that already agreed to be Linux distribution friendly.

We see now it has not turned out well. I wasn't involved in this phase, so I have no idea why. Certainly, Red Hat, which is now the official maintainer of several OpenJDK versions upstream, which bought JBoss, which had several initiatives (like 389 server) that relied on Java parts, which is now part of IBM (another huge Java stakeholder), had all the required weight to make things happen. Certainly more than the small JPackage team (which managed a definite impact at the time).

I can only explain it with lots of complacency Red Hat and Fedora side, Java was not going anywhere, no one was ever going to write Enterprisey free software in another language, no need to expend a lot of effort to get past what JPackage had already achieved, the Java & JPackage investment was safe. Well Kubernetes was rewritten from Java to Go and is massively used in Enterprises today, and the whole generation of cloud-oriented enterprise software is looking like it will abandon Java altogether. You rip what you sow.

If it was just me I'd tell all the various free software Java teams within Red Hat/Fedora to agree on a single Java component tech (probably Java modules), define a standard FHS-compatible materialization of those components, define basic sanity versioning rules ("if component N version X needs itself to build, it MUST work with version X-1") and then set a deadline, after which Red Hat/Fedora releases that do not conform to this model are not accepted anymore. That would get the ball rolling Java dev side.

But it's not me and I have decided quite a long time ago to work on other things than Java software, so whatever actually happens is up to Fedora and Red Hat/IBM leadership. I certainly hope that someone within Fedora instances alerted the main sponsor that things were starting to burn.

--
Nicolas Mailhot