Re: More than 10% of all Fedora spec files are not POSIX sh compliant

* Stephen John Smoogen:

> My very hazy memory of UsrMove was that one of the arguments was that
> we were behind some other distros on this, and once again not "First".

Huh.  That surprises me.

> I think the issue is that many of us  look at the GNU/Linux ecosystem
> in different ways. There is what is in existence now with the majority
> of Linux being Android phones, and the majority of installed GNU/Linux
> being old Debian releases running on lightbulbs and other embedded
> hardware. However none of that is first, and being compliant with 10
> year old software is easy.. just never fix anything.  We are very much
> not compliant with those.

Debian has those multi-arch paths, though.  It really helps them with
qemu-user, and it also simplifies cross-toolchains because they can
use native libraries.  I assume this makes Debian a much more
attractive target as a developer workstation for targets where you
can't build natively—but I could be mistaken.

> There is the middle road, where you look and see a large number of
> Ubuntu being used in the cloud or in containers or whatever the hyped
> on technology of last month was. We are somewhat compliant with
> these.. but not really.

I don't think there's a significant difference between Ubuntu and
Debian in these matters at present, just the usual version skew
between packages.