Re: More than 10% of all Fedora spec files are not POSIX sh compliant

* Stephen John Smoogen:

> On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 08:13, Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> * Dridi Boukelmoune:
>>
>> > This is the kind of spec that leads to spoiled upstreams putting
>> > /bin/sh in shebangs and scratching their heads when they get bug
>> > reports for stricter systems...
>> >
>> > I'd be happier if Fedora was not part of the problem and maintainers
>> > were encouraged to figure out the correct shebang (and when in doubt
>> > use /usr/bin/bash).
>>
>> If you want more compatibility, you definitely can't use /usr/bin/bash.
>>
>> Fedora is so different from other GNU/Linux systems these days, so I'm
>> not sure if *any* recommendation to encourage portability (at the cost
>> of convenience to Fedora developers or users) makes sense anymore.
>
> This statement constantly confuses me. Every release we are told we
> are too different from other GNU/Linux systems. That drives changes
> which are supposed to make us more compatible, and yet at the next
> release we are again where we started from.

Hmm.  I haven't seen that, at least not for low-level matters.  (In
the compiler flags discussion, it's about *not* changing defaults from
GNU upstream.)

We have implemented UsrMove and we don't use multi-arch paths for ELF
objects, which makes use incompatible with a fairly large chunk of the
rest of the GNU/Linux ecosystem.  Our Java packaging does not use the
Class-Path: manifest attribute, and packages do not consistently use
/usr/share/java for storing JAR files.

So at the lower levels, there is not much we can do to improve
compatibility.  Perhaps we can adopt multi-arch paths, and just hope
that the rest of the world will eventually implement mandatory UsrMove
as well.