Re: More than 10% of all Fedora spec files are not POSIX sh compliant

On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 09:19, Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * Stephen John Smoogen:
>
> > On Mon, 25 Mar 2019 at 08:13, Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>
> >> * Dridi Boukelmoune:

> >> If you want more compatibility, you definitely can't use /usr/bin/bash.
> >>
> >> Fedora is so different from other GNU/Linux systems these days, so I'm
> >> not sure if *any* recommendation to encourage portability (at the cost
> >> of convenience to Fedora developers or users) makes sense anymore.
> >
> > This statement constantly confuses me. Every release we are told we
> > are too different from other GNU/Linux systems. That drives changes
> > which are supposed to make us more compatible, and yet at the next
> > release we are again where we started from.
>
> Hmm.  I haven't seen that, at least not for low-level matters.  (In
> the compiler flags discussion, it's about *not* changing defaults from
> GNU upstream.)
>
> We have implemented UsrMove and we don't use multi-arch paths for ELF
> objects, which makes use incompatible with a fairly large chunk of the
> rest of the GNU/Linux ecosystem.  Our Java packaging does not use the
> Class-Path: manifest attribute, and packages do not consistently use
> /usr/share/java for storing JAR files.
>
> So at the lower levels, there is not much we can do to improve
> compatibility.  Perhaps we can adopt multi-arch paths, and just hope
> that the rest of the world will eventually implement mandatory UsrMove
> as well.

My very hazy memory of UsrMove was that one of the arguments was that
we were behind some other distros on this, and once again not "First".

I think the issue is that many of us  look at the GNU/Linux ecosystem
in different ways. There is what is in existence now with the majority
of Linux being Android phones, and the majority of installed GNU/Linux
being old Debian releases running on lightbulbs and other embedded
hardware. However none of that is first, and being compliant with 10
year old software is easy.. just never fix anything.  We are very much
not compliant with those.

There is the middle road, where you look and see a large number of
Ubuntu being used in the cloud or in containers or whatever the hyped
on technology of last month was. We are somewhat compliant with
these.. but not really.

And finally there is the vast (possibly infinite) amount of GNU/Linux
which doesn't exist yet. And that is what people keep saying we aren't
compliant with as soon as it comes into existence. I would say that
the reason we don't use Java Class-Path is because Java is for old
people.. and not 'sexy' anymore for the next-gen people. Multi-arch is
for old people. UsrMove is what everyone 'should' have done.. but
didn't. When KlaFooBar Linux comes out with PDP-11-128 bit virtual
machines which make functional-object-shard-hyperledger-containers
possible.. we will be tacking as quickly to making the distro to
incorporate that. [It will probably not be something as sexy as that..
128 bit PDP-11 is just too much for this universe. The FOSHC paradigm
will probably be done in 80-128-86 instead.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.